Sunday, October 8, 2017

Lake View Cemetery 9 (10/8/2017)

Sunday, October 2017
Continuing the search in Lake View Cemetery.
Tootie McGregor Terry (1843-1912)
Why does Tootie have a Lake View Cemetery banner flag? She was born Jerusha Barber, granddaughter of the first mayor of Ohio City, Josiah Barber, who with his partners donated land for an open-air market, the forerunner of the West Side Market. Jerusha/Tootie married Ambrose McGregor, who started as a foreman in one of the oil refineries owned by partners John D Rockefeller and Samuel Andrews. In 1874 he was promoted to superintendent of all the refineries and manufacturing operations of the Standard Oil Company in Cleveland. Standard Oil associates were encouraged to take shares of stock as part of their remuneration, and by the time he died at age 58, he was one of the richest men in the country. In 1891, Ambrose and Tootie moved to Fort Myers, FL because of their son's illness. They invested heavily in Fort Myers, and after both Ambrose and their son died, Tootie donated land and money to build a hospital to be named after her son, Bradford. She also donated land for a country club and saved the Royal Palm Hotel resort. Realizing the potential for Fort Myers to become a leading winter destination, she offered money to pave half the distance of the crushed shell road from Fort Myers to Punta Rassa, on the condition that it was named McGregor Boulevard. Tootie later married Dr Marshall Terry, a physician in Utica, NY. Dr Terry completed the McGregor Boulevard project after Tootie's death, and continued as a Board member of the McGregor Home (1904), a residence for elderly ladies in East Cleveland. The Home was established by Tootie and her sister Sophia and husband, James McCrosky. It is interesting that Tootie was interred with her first husband and son.
Suella Pearson Penfield (1851-1920)
Suella Pearson was one of the seven founders of the PEO Sisterhood at Iowa Wesleyan University in 1869. A sorority that decided to keep its non-Greek letters, it has become a philanthropic organization to promote education for women. Suella married Frank Penfield, who was associated with the Standard Oil Company.
John Hay monument
John Hay (1838-1905)
John Milton Hay was a poet, journalist, historian, and statesman who was private secretary to Abraham Lincoln. He also served as Secretary to the American Legation in Paris in 1865 and as Ambassador to Great Britain in 1897. As President William McKinley's Secretary of State, he proposed the open door policy for China in 1899.
Silas Safford Stone (1815-1884) monument
Silas Stone was born in Vermont and moved to Cleveland in 1832 to work in the freight shipping business. In 1848 he became a member of the Cleveland Board of Trade. He began investing n property and leased land to the United State government in 1861 for Camp Wade, built for the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Calvary. His wife had the monument erected.
Bulkley family monument
Robert John Bulkley (1880-1965)
Robert Bulkley, a native of Cleveland, attended Harvard Law School, and set up practice in his home town. He was elected to two terms in the United States House of Representatives (1911-1915). Bulkley later was elected to the United States Senate in 1930 to fill the vacancy created by the death of Theodore E Burton. He then served two terms in the Senate. In 1927, Bulkley founded the Northern Ohio Opera Association and has a building in Playhouse Square named for him.
Otis family monument
Charles Augustus Otis (1827-1905)
Charles A Otis, Sr worked in his father's ironworks until 1848, then was a steamboat purser. In 1852, Otis founded the Lake Erie Iron Company that he sold after the Civil War. He then spent time in Prussia (1866), studying that country's iron and steel mills. When he returned he founded the Otis Iron & Steel Company, which was the first company in America formed solely to make acid open-hearth steel. Other business pursuits included establishment of American Wire Company, American Steel Screw Company, and Cleveland Electric Railway Company, as well as being president (1894-1904) of the New Commercial National Bank. Otis served one term as Mayor of Cleveland (1873-1974).
Dramatic monument of the Younglove family
Payne family monument
Henry B Payne (1810-1896)
Henry Payne was born in New York State and moved to Cleveland to study law with Sherlock Andrews. Payne was Cleveland's first solicitor under its municipal charter, and was elected to city council in 1847. After serving a term in the Ohio State Senate (1849-1851), he ran for the United States Senate but lost. Payne assisted Senator Steven Douglass in his 1860 campaign against Abraham Lincoln. Payne served one term in the United States House of Representatives (1875-1877) and later served one term in the United States Senate (1885-1891).
Oliver Hazard Payne (1838-1917)
Oliver Hazard Payne was named for Oliver Hazard Perry, a relative of his mother. He was the second of six children of politician Henry B Payne. Educated at Phillips Academy in Andover, MA, Oliver Payne began studies at Yale University when the Civil War began. He enlisted in the Union Army, with the 124th Ohio Infantry. He was brevetted Brigadier General in 1865. After the war, Payne invested in iron and oil refining. His oil interests were the first acquired by the Standard Oil Company.
Nathan Perry Payne (1837-1895)
Nathan Perry was the eldest son of politician Henry B Payne. Nathan Payne was educated at Pierce Academy in Middleborough, MA, but ill health prevented him from entering Brown University. In 1857 he went to work for a coal dealer, which eventually became Payne, Newton and Company. Payne served two terms on the Cleveland Board of Education and six years on City Council before becoming Mayor of Cleveland (1875-1876).
Leonard Case, Jr (1820-1880)
Leonard Case, Jr, a native of Cleveland, attended Yale University and the University of Cincinnati Law School. His law practice was limited to working with his father, Leonard Case, Sr, in settling claims arising from Moses Cleaveland's Connecticut Land Company. Case Jr was an Arkite, a member of a group of prominent Clevelanders who conversed about natural science in a small building (the Ark) filled with specimens they shot and mounted. In 1859, he with his brother, William, constructed Case Hall, a civic and cultural center that housed the Cleveland Academy of Natural Sciences, the Cleveland Library Association that he helped establish, and the Ark club, as well as theater productions and lectures. In 1875, Case Jr financed and built the 'Case Block' building that he leased to Cleveland for City Hall. Having inherited $15 million, Case Jr anonymously gave $1 million to establish a technical school to teach pure science. To provide annual revenues, Case Jr bequeathed the rental income from his downtown properties to the school. Later known as the Case School of Applied Science, it opened in 1881 on Rockwell Avenue and moved to University Circle in 1885. The school was renamed the Case Institute of Technology in 1948, and in 1967 it merged with Western Reserve University, forming the Case Western Reserve University. Case Jr also left the city 200 acres for industrial plants and railroad rights-of-way, which became the city's first comprehensive industrial district. Other beneficiaries include the Old Stone Church, the Cleveland Orphan Asylum, the Industrial Aid Society, and the Cleveland Female Seminary.
William Case (1818-1862)
William Case was the older brother of Leonard Case, Jr. William Case opted to be educated locally in Cleveland, and to attend to business interests. He was president of the Cleveland, Painesville, & Ashtabula Railroad, where he secured the financing to complete its Chicago-to-Buffalo route (1852). He was president of Lake Shore Railroad (1855-57), was elected to Cleveland City Council (1846), and served as an alderman (1847-49). Case was the first Cleveland-born citizen to become mayor (1850-51), when he organized the city workhouse, poorhouse, and house of refuge. With his brother, Case formed the Cleveland Library Association and was is first president (1846), had Case Hall built and was also an Arkite, a member of the group with an interest in natural science who eventually organized the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Case's horticultural interests in a tree-planting campaign (1852), helped establish Cleveland's reputation as the "Forest City."
Mather monument
Samuel Livingston Mather (1817-1890)
Samuel Livingston Mather was born in Connecticut and moved to the Western Reserve in 1843 at the age of 26, and in 1847 was one of the founders of the Cleveland Iron Company. Because he was a  supporter of overseas mission activities of the Episcopal Church, in 1918 his son financed the library at Rikkyo University in Tokyo, naming the library in his father's honor.
Dr Andrew C Novick (1948-2008)
Dr Andrew Novick was a former chair of the Cleveland Clinic’s Urological and Kidney Institute. He was an innovator in the field of kidney transplant surgery and is credited with pioneering a technique of using ice baths to spare kidney function, as well as a nephron-sparing surgery that has given many patients longer lives. Novick is known worldwide for his contribution to kidney research and renal reconstructive surgery. He was instrumental in designing the $128 million Glickman building of the the Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute at the Cleveland Clinic, but died shortly before it opened.
William Howard Brett (1846-1918)
William H Brett was a librarian of his high school library at age 14. Later he settled in Cleveland and worked for the bookdealer, Cobb & Andrews Company, becoming acquainted with bibliophiles, including John G White. White helped in Brett's appointment as librarian of the Cleveland Public Library in 1884, and he worked there until his death in 1918. Brett developed the concept of the open-shelf library, and lobbied to have library branches built in city neighborhoods, soliciting Andrew Carnegie for funds. He helped establish a library school at Western Reserve University and was its first dean. Brett also advocated for children's rooms in public libraries with specially trained librarians. Brett was president of the American Library Association from 1896-1897. He was a founding member of the Ohio Library Association and its first president. In 1975 he was elected into the Notable Ohio Libraries Hall of Fame.
Alonzo Gordon Wright (1898-1976)
Alonzo Wright was born in Tennessee and was a shoeshine boy and a messenger before moving to Cleveland in the early 1910s. He earned his high school diploma at night while working as a teamster, foundry hand, mail-truck driver, and garage attendant at Auditorium Hotel for eight years. At the Auditorium Hotel he met Sohio executive Wallace T Holliday who was impressed by Wright's work. Holliday arranged for Wright to lease a Sohio station, the first Standard Oil station in a predominantly black neighborhood, and the first leased by an African-American. Wright offered new services including cleaning windshields regularly, and free tire and radiator checks. By the mid-1940s, Wright operated 11 gas stations, which created job opportunities for young blacks. He is credited with having hired more black youths than any other business in the United States at the time. With gas rationing, Wright left the service-station business. In 1943 he established Wright's Enterprises, a real-estate investment firm. He bought Carnegie Hotel, Ritzwood Hotel, and established Dunbar Nursing Home, ending up as Cleveland's first black millionaire.
Jane E Hunter (1882-1971)
Jane Edna Hunter was born in South Carolina. After completing nursing training, she moved to Cleveland in 1905. As an African-American social worker, in 1911 she founded the Working Girls Association to offer shelter, assistance, and education to women. It became the Phillis Wheatley Association of Cleveland in 1912, where Hunter served as executive director until 1947. By 1925 Hunter had graduated from the Cleveland Law School. She was active in the National Association of Colored Women (NACW) and was also on the Board of Directors and was a Vice President of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Hunter had several honorary degrees and earned the Spingarn Medal, awarded annually by the NAACP for outstanding achievement by an African American.
Schreckengost family monument
Viktor Schreckengost (1906-2008)
Viktor Schreckengost attended the Cleveland School of Arts (later the Cleveland Institute of Art) and studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule/applied arts school in Vienna, Austria. He was an artist and designer, and taught ceramics at the School of Arts. He became director of the school’s (and the nation’s first) industrial design department in 1933. During World War II, he worked at the Naval Air Corps Training Station in Rhode Island, developing such things as artificial limbs, and voice-recognition and map-making equipment. Schreckengost designed bicycles and toy pedal cars for Murray Ohio Company, and wheeled steel machines for various companies such as Murray Ohio, White Motor, and Sears, Roebuck & Company. He developed the first cab-over-engine truck as well as double-decker buses, riding lawn mowers, streetlights, and printing presses. Schreckengost also designed a line of dinnerware for Limoges China, located in his hometown of Sebring, Ohio.
Charles Berger (1882-1954)
Charles Carl "Heinie" Berger was a right handed pitcher making his debut with the Cleveland Napoleons or Naps (renamed the Indians in 1915) in May 1907. For four seasons, he played with the Cleveland Indians (1907-10), ending his career with a total of 32 wins, 29 losses, 42 complete games, 5 shutouts, 1 save, 337 strikeouts, and a 2.60 earned run average.
Salisbury family monument
James H Salisbury (1823-1905)
James Henry Salisbury was born in New York State and worked as a chemist with the Geological Survey of the State of New York, until he graduated from the Albany Medical School in 1850 and received an MA from Union College in 1852. He served as a physician during the Civil War, then moved to Cleveland to help start Charity Hospital College, where he lectured on physiology, histology, and microscopic anatomy between 1864-66. Salisbury specialized in the treatment of chronic diseases, especially those previously considered fatal. He began studying germs as the cause of diseases as early as 1849. Salisbury studied the origin and functions of blood, later looking at the relation of food and drink to the occurrence of disease. He advocated dietary measures, including his own invention, Salisbury steak, as cures.
Howland family monument
Paul Howland (1865-1942)
Leonard Paul Howland graduated from Oberlin College and studied law at Harvard University. He was admitted to the bar in 1890 and moved his practice to Cleveland in 1894. Howland served three terms in the United States House of Representatives (1907-1913).
Herrick family monument (KSS)
Rensselaer R Herrick (1826-1899) (KSS)
Rensselaer Herrick arrived in Cleveland at age 10 with his mother and her family. He later worked with the newspaper, the Ohio City Argus. He was a member of the Cleveland City Council and in 1879, he was elected mayor and served two terms. After a failing to win another term, Herrick became director of public works.
Thomas J Herbert (1894-1974)
Thomas John Herbert, a native of Cleveland, graduated from the Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 1919. He was the Ohio State Attorney General  from 1939-1945. In 1946 he was elected Governor of Ohio for one term. Herbert later served as Associate Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court from 1957-1963.
D A Starkweather (1802-1876)
David Austin Starkweather was born in Connecticut, but moved to Ohio to practice law. He was elected to the Ohio State House of Representatives (1833-1835) and then to the Ohio State Senate (1836-1838). Starkweather served in the United States House of Representatives from 1839-1841, and again from 1845-1847. From 1854-1857 he was the United States Envoy to Chile.
A little bit of autumn color in Lake View Cemetery
This year it seems the leaves are falling from the tree as soon as they change color.
A lonely quince fruit
George Crile (1864-1943)
George Washington Crile received his medical degree in 1887 from Wooster Medical College. He was a professor at Wooster and later at Western Reserve University. Along with Frank E Bunts, Crile worked for Dr Frank Weed and served several Cleveland hospitals including Lakeside Hospital where he served as Chief of Surgery. He served in the Medical Reserve Corps during the Spanish-American War, studying military surgery, field sanitation, and tropical diseases. During World War I, Crile was in the Medical Officers' Training Corps, rising to the rank of colonel. He served in Army hospitals in France and researched war neurasthenia, shell concussion, effects of poison gas, wound infection, and shock. Crile was a founding member and second president (1916-17) of the American College of Surgeons. In 1921, along with Drs William E Lower, Frank E. Bunts, and John Phillips, Crile founded the Cleveland Clinic, a medical group practice modeled after Mayo Clinic. He is formally recognized as the first surgeon to have succeeded in a direct blood transfusion. Crile designed a small hemostatic forceps called the Crile mosquito clamp. He also developed a technique for using opioids, regional anesthesia and general anesthesia, which is known as balanced anesthesia.

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Lake View Cemetery 8 (10/1/2017)

Sunday, October 1, 2017
Back to Lake View Cemetery, where we wander up and down rows of graves looking for particular names. For each name we are given a section number and most sections are easily found on a map of the cemetery. We are also given a lot number, but those are harder to determine as the lot markers are missing or have been completely grown over. Once we do find a lot number, it is also difficult to to know what pattern they follow. As a result, we are often back-tracking and or heading in totally the wrong direction. Yet it is a fun and interesting way to get some exercise, for us and the dog, Gus.
Frederick Kohler (1864-1934)
Frederick Kohler, a native Clevelander, worked in his father's business, Kohler Stone Works, until his father's death. In 1889, he joined the Cleveland Police Department and after four years he was appointed Chief of Police by Mayor Tom Johnson. Kohler had strong contempt for political favoritism and in 1913, when Johnson was no longer mayor, political opponents had him fired. In 1918, he was elected Cuyahoga County Commissioner as a Republican, serving two terms. He then campaigned for mayor and won without making a public statement, holding a public meeting or using any of the usual campaign tactics in his famous doorbell-ringing canvass, asking people to "Vote for Fred Kohler." He served one term from 1922-1924. As mayor, Kohler concentrated on the economy in city government, cutting payrolls and city services, while persuading private agencies to care for families on relief. When Kohler "cleaned up" City Hall by slashing municipal expenses and firing patronage employees, he again lost popularity and did not run for re-election.
Caponigro mausoleum with Asian designs
Final resting place for A. Charles and Beatrice R,
but the significance of the Asian designs is unknown
Leggett Monument
Plaque on the Leggett Monument outlining the
military career of General Mortimer Leggett
Mortimer D Leggett (1821-1896)
Mortimer Dormer Leggett was born in New York State and moved with his parents to Ohio in 1836. In 1839 he entered the Teachers' Seminary in Kirtland, OH. As an educator he promoted free, graded, public education in Ohio and has been credited with creating the public school system in Akron, OH (1845). He also studied medicine and law, and practiced law in Akron. At the start of the Civil War, he served on the staff of Major General George B McClellan. Leggett helped raise the 78th Ohio Volunteer Infantry and was commissioned as its colonel in January 1862. He commanded his regiment at the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, and Corinth. In November 1862, he was appointed brigadier general of volunteers and participated in the Vicksburg Campaign. Later Leggett commanded the 3rd Division of the XVII Corps during the Atlanta Campaign and Sherman's March to the Sea. He was brevetted major general of volunteers in July 1864, and was commissioned as a major general a year later. His last action was in the Carolinas Campaign during the spring of 1865. After the war, Leggett resumed his law practice. In 1880 in Cleveland, with Charles Brush and George W Stockley, he founded the Brush Electric Company, precursor to the General Electric Company.
Toy vehicles left for this young man
Josiah A Harris (1808-1876)
Josiah A Harris was born in Massachusetts and moved to Ohio at age 10 years. In 1832, Harris settled in Elyria, was elected sheriff, and revived Elyria's first newspaper as the weekly Ohio Atlas & Elyria Advertiser. He sold the paper and came to Cleveland in 1837, purchasing the Cleveland Herald & Gazette. Harris firmly established the Herald, paying its debts and providing its own printing office. He won local support by printing marriage, death, and meeting notices, and furnishing free papers to clergymen. He refused to print ads for the more notorious quack medicines, or notices for the return of runaway slaves. In 1847, Harris was elected Mayor of Cleveland for one term. Resources state that Harris is buried in the Erie Street Cemetery, but his family's remains were moved to Lake View Cemetery. There is a vacant Harris mausoleum in Erie Street Cemetery (which we visited on 1/31/2016).
Burton monument
Theodore Elijah Burton (1851-1929)
Theodore Burton was a prominent Cleveland attorney, who served in the United State House of Representatives for a term (1889-1891) where he co-sponsored the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, then again for seven terms (1895-1908). In 1908, Burton was elected to the United States Senate for one term (1909-1915). President Theodore Roosevelt appointed him chairman of the Inland Waterways Commission in 1907 and the National Waterways Commission in 1909. Burton also sponsored the legislation authorizing construction of the Panama Canal. After a stint working in New York City in banking, he returned to Ohio and was elected in 1920 to the United States House of Representatives, serving for four terms, until 1928. He did not seek re-election to the House, but instead won a special election to the Senate for the unfinished term of Frank B Willis. Burton served in the Senate from December 15, 1928 until his death on October 28, 1929. (Black Tuesday was October 29, 1929.)
Garfield Memorial (KSS)
Edward S Flint (1818-1902)
Edward Sherrill Flint was born in Ohio, but was raised by his grandparents in Vermont because of the early deaths of his parents. He and his family moved to Cleveland in 1851, where Flint started a real estate firm. He also served as the superintendent of the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway from 1859-1878. Flint became a member of the Cleveland board of schools in 1860 and was elected mayor in 1861. He supported the North's cause during the Civil War. He retired after being defeated for re-election, continuing the railroad business.
The Roberto Father must have been the Full Blooded Italian
"Lady Pearl" Mitchell (1883-1974) (KSS)
L Pearl Mitchell was a civil rights activist who graduated from Wilberforce (OH) College. After her father's death, she worked as a typist to finance her siblings' education, coming to Cleveland in the 1920s. In 1923 she joined the Cleveland branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People/NAACP, eventually serving as president (1936-37), executive secretary (1945), national vice-president (1959), and national director of membership campaigns. Locally, Mitchell led protests against the school system's discriminatory operation of special-activity schools and against segregated public-housing projects. She mobilized newspaper support for the employment of black nurses at City Hospital. Mitchell was elected the third national president of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc, the first Greek letter sorority for African-American women. She was a member for over 50 years and was known as Miss A.K.A.
Peter J Hotaling (1856-1928)
Peter James Hotaling, was a Major League Baseball center fielder from 1879-1888. He played in both the National League and the American Association, with six different teams. Hotaling suffered an eye injury when hit by a foul tip, and was out of the lineup for a month. When he returned, he came equipped with a mask, which he had commissioned from the Remington Arms Company as a protective piece. When Hotaling donned the mask, he became the first professional ballplayer to do so (similar masks had been worn in college games). Wearing the "cage" caused him to be nicknamed "Monkey," a name that followed him throughout his baseball career. He played for the Cleveland Blues in 1880, 1883-1885 (during which time he married an Ohio City girl), and 1887-1888.
A sweet lamb on a baby's grave marker
Frey family monument
Frank/Franz Frey (1837-1900)
Frank Frey's actual grave marker
Franz (Frank) Xavier Frey was born in Switzerland and emigrated to Cleveland. He enlisted in the 37th Volunteer Infantry at Cleveland in October 1861 and was promoted to corporal in July 1862. Frey participated in the campaign to capture Vicksburg, Mississippi, as one of 150 volunteers who stormed the Confederate earthworks north of the city. Frey received the Medal of Honor in August 1894 for gallantry during the assault.
Gertrude Harrison (1871-1938)
Gertrude Harrison was the first female golf professional in the United States. She is credited with inventing the golf ball return machine that was used in teaching golf.
McKisson family monument
Robert E McKisson (1863-1915)
Robert Erastus McKisson, an Ohio native, came to Cleveland in 1887 to study law in the offices of Theodore E Burton. McKisson was elected to the Cleveland City Council in 1894 and was a critic of the Democratic administration of Mayor Robert Blee, whom he succeeded as mayor in 1895. During McKisson's two terms, construction began on a new city water and sewer system, the Cuyahoga River was widened and straightened to facilitate steamer traffic, and five new bridges were built across the river. In 1898, he and Marcus A Hanna were rival candidates for the United States Senate, and McKisson came very close to defeating Hanna. McKisson was defeated for re-election as mayor in 1899, after which he returned to practicing law.